Re: WIP: System Versioned Temporal Table - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: WIP: System Versioned Temporal Table
Date
Re: WIP: System Versioned Temporal Table  (Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000@gmail.com>)
Re: WIP: System Versioned Temporal Table  (Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 5:46 PM Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 7:50 PM Ryan Lambert <ryan@rustprooflabs.com> wrote:
>>
>> I prefer to have them hidden by default.  This was mentioned up-thread with no decision, it seems the standard is
ambiguous. MS SQL appears to have flip-flopped on this decision [1].

I think the default should be like this:

SELECT * FROM foo FOR SYSTEM_TIME AS OF ...
should NOT include the Start and End timestamp columns
because this acts like a normal query just with a different snapshot timestamp

SELECT * FROM foo FOR SYSTEM_TIME BETWEEN x AND y
SHOULD include the Start and End timestamp columns
since this form of query can include multiple row versions for the
same row, so it makes sense to see the validity times

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.EnterpriseDB.com/