Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 29 April 2016 at 18:40, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
On 04/29/2016 08:44 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 11:07:04PM +0300, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
Our roadmap http://www.postgresql.org/developer/roadmap/ is the problem. We
don't have clear roadmap and that's why we cannot plan future feature full
release. There are several postgres-centric companies, which have most of
developers, who do all major contributions. All these companies has their
roadmaps, but not the community.

I would be concerned if company roadmaps overtly affected the community
roadmap.  In general, I find company roadmaps to be very short-sighted
and quickly changed based on the demands of specific users/customers ---
something we don't want to imitate.

We do want company roadmaps to affect the community roadmap, but in a
healthy, long-term way, and I think, in general, that is happening.

The roadmap is not the problem it is the lack of cooperation. Many companies are now developing features in a silo and then presenting them to the community. Instead we should be working with those companies to have them develop transparently so others can be a part of the process.

If the feature is going to be submitted to core anyway (or open source) why wouldn't we just do that? Why wouldn't EDB develop directly within the Pg infrastructure. Why wouldn't we build teams around the best and brightest between EDB, 2Q and Citus?

Egos.

Consider PgLogical, who is working on this outside of 2Q?

Thank you for volunteering to assist. What would you like to work on?