Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0
Date
Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0  (Oleg Bartunov <obartunov@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 04/29/2016 08:44 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 11:07:04PM +0300, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> Our roadmap http://www.postgresql.org/developer/roadmap/ is the problem. We
>> don't have clear roadmap and that's why we cannot plan future feature full
>> release. There are several postgres-centric companies, which have most of
>> developers, who do all major contributions. All these companies has their
>> roadmaps, but not the community.
>
> I would be concerned if company roadmaps overtly affected the community
> roadmap.  In general, I find company roadmaps to be very short-sighted
> and quickly changed based on the demands of specific users/customers ---
> something we don't want to imitate.
>
> We do want company roadmaps to affect the community roadmap, but in a
> healthy, long-term way, and I think, in general, that is happening.

The roadmap is not the problem it is the lack of cooperation. Many
companies are now developing features in a silo and then presenting them
to the community. Instead we should be working with those companies to
have them develop transparently so others can be a part of the process.

If the feature is going to be submitted to core anyway (or open source)
why wouldn't we just do that? Why wouldn't EDB develop directly within
the Pg infrastructure. Why wouldn't we build teams around the best and
brightest between EDB, 2Q and Citus?

Egos.

Consider PgLogical, who is working on this outside of 2Q? Where is the
git repo for it? Where is the bug tracker? Where is the mailing list?
Oh, its -hackers, except that it isn't, is it?

It used to be that everyone got together and worked together before the
patch review process. Now it seems like it is a competition between
companies to see whose ego can get the most inflated via press releases
because they developed X for Y.

If the companies were to come together and truly recognize that profit
is the reward not the goal then our community would be much stronger for it.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564