Re: a funnel by any other name - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: a funnel by any other name
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 22 September 2015 at 21:14, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 10:34 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> > For 1, Gather makes most sense.
>
> Yeah, I'm leaning that way myself.  Amit argued for "Parallel Gather"
> but I think that's overkill.  There can't be a non-parallel gather,
> and long names are a pain.

"Gather" seems a pretty decent choice to me too, even if we only have a
single worker (your "1").  I don't think there's much need to
distinguish 1 from 2, is there?

I think so. 1 is Many->1 and the other is 1->Many.

You may wish to do an operation like a parallel merge join.

Parallel Sort -> Scatter -> Parallel Merge