Re: [HACKERS] Minor typo in partition.c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Minor typo in partition.c
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 14 April 2017 at 14:02, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 3:43 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Oh, just looks very different to what we discussed, so I presumed more
>> changes were coming.
>
> I waited quite a while for you to review Amit's patches on that
> thread, but as you never did, I eventually picked it up.

Sorry about that, I guess I was concentrating on things listed on the
CF app at that time.

>> Where shall I mention BRIN in that chapter?
>
> You never answered my email about why BRIN belongs in that chapter.  I
> maintain that it doesn't, because BRIN is not a partitioning method.

BRIN is a method of speeding up queries by skipping large chunks of
tables, just the same as declarative partitioning.

There are similarities and differences, which makes sense to highlight.

Some DBMS/data access methods support both features, as we do, others
only one or the other. Since we support both it makes sense to mention
them in the same section of docs.