Re: Re: Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Re: Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 6:07 PM David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
On 3/7/19 11:50 AM, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:43 AM David Steele <david@pgmasters.net
> <mailto:david@pgmasters.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 2/28/19 5:44 PM, Ildus Kurbangaliev wrote:
>
>      > there are another set of patches.
>      > Only rebased to current master.
>      >
>      > Also I will change status on commitfest to 'Needs review'.
>
>     This patch has seen periodic rebases but no code review that I can see
>     since last January 2018.
>
>     As Andres noted in [1], I think that we need to decide if this is a
>     feature that we want rather than just continuing to push it from CF
>     to CF.
>

> Yes.  I took a look at code of this patch.  I think it's in pretty good
> shape.  But high level review/discussion is required.

OK, but I think this patch can only be pushed one more time, maximum,
before it should be rejected.

As a note, we believe at Adjust that this would be very helpful for some of our use cases and some other general use cases.  I think as a feature, custom compression methods are a good thing but we are not the only ones with interests here and would be interested in pushing this forward if possible or finding ways to contribute to better approaches in this particular field.

Regards,
--
-David
david@pgmasters.net