Re: Images in the official documentation - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Images in the official documentation
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 27 February 2018 at 03:23, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On 26 February 2018 at 12:16, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> How can we resolve these issues?

> Question the assumptions and requirements. Why do we actually _need_
> diffable, mergeable images? Sure, it'd be *nice*, but what's the real world
> impact if we don't have it?

Well, I'll tell you exactly why I'm being sticky about this: we've been
down this road before.  We used to have some figures in .gif format,
and one of the problems with them was they were too hard to update.
I don't buy the "they won't need updates" argument for a second, either.
For instance, I recall that one of the images we had was a diagram of
the system catalog cross-references, and it was constantly out of date
because of the difficulty of updating it.

Yeah, that sounds painful. I can certainly see your objection when framed in terms of things like illustrations of catalogs and catalog relationships.

If I were maintaining the docs in a vacuum, I'd use graphviz for something like that, because it's a figure that does need regular updates and changes. And because
 the list of fun things to do in my life definitely does not include hand-writing SVG. Not that tweaking GraphViz .dot is fun, but it's the default tool for a reason.

I'd be awfully tempted to generate the node-map part of the catalog relationship .dot file from a query, too.

I still advocate for relaxing the policy for images that are *not* likely to need frequent updates, but also for being conservative about how/when we include images. Does this add real value to the docs, is it worth any maintenance hassle? Then, for things that will change more, like catalogs, using a tool like graphviz. If we object to adding a docs build-dependency, we could always commit generated files like we already do for the 'configure' script, and make sure there's a committer/maintainer Make target that warns if the sources are newer than the docs.