Re: Images in the official documentation - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Images in the official documentation
Date
Re: Images in the official documentation
List pgsql-docs
Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On 26 February 2018 at 12:16, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> How can we resolve these issues?

> Question the assumptions and requirements. Why do we actually _need_
> diffable, mergeable images? Sure, it'd be *nice*, but what's the real world
> impact if we don't have it?

Well, I'll tell you exactly why I'm being sticky about this: we've been
down this road before.  We used to have some figures in .gif format,
and one of the problems with them was they were too hard to update.
I don't buy the "they won't need updates" argument for a second, either.
For instance, I recall that one of the images we had was a diagram of
the system catalog cross-references, and it was constantly out of date
because of the difficulty of updating it.

Admittedly, this was 15+ years ago.  Maybe the state of the art in
figure editors has advanced to the point where it won't be so hard.
But color me suspicious.

            regards, tom lane