Re: Trimming transaction logs after extended WAL archive failures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Trimming transaction logs after extended WAL archive failures
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday, March 25, 2014, Steven Schlansker <steven@likeness.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a Postgres 9.3.3 database machine.  Due to some intelligent work on the part of someone who shall remain nameless, the WAL archive command included a ‘> /dev/null 2>&1’ which masked archive failures until the disk entirely filled with 400GB of pg_xlog entries.

PostgreSQL itself should be logging failures to the server log, regardless of whether those failures log themselves.

I have fixed the archive command and can see WAL segments being shipped off of the server, however the xlog remains at a stable size and is not shrinking.  In fact, it’s still growing at a (much slower) rate.

The leading edge of the log files should be archived as soon as they fill up, and recycled/deleted two checkpoints later.  The trailing edge should be archived upon checkpoints and then recycled or deleted.  I think there is a throttle on how many off the trailing edge are archived each checkpoint.  So issues a bunch of  "CHECKPOINT;" commands for a while and see if that clears it up.

Cheers,

Jeff