Re: Trimming transaction logs after extended WAL archive failures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Trimming transaction logs after extended WAL archive failures
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/25/2014 04:52 PM, Steven Schlansker wrote:

>> Some more questions, what happens when things begin to dawn on me:)
>>
>> You said the disk filled up entirely with log files yet currently the number(size) of logs is growing.
>
> It’s holding stable now.  I tried to vacuum up to clean some space which turned out to generate more pg_xlog activity
thanit saved space, and (I assume) the archiver fell behind and that was the source of the growing log.  There haven’t
beenany new segments since I stopped doing that.

Yea, vacuum just marks space as available for reuse it does not actually
free space.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com