Re: BUG #13077: when standby crash and restart, it's need next timeline history file, but upstream node normal. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: BUG #13077: when standby crash and restart, it's need next timeline history file, but upstream node normal.
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 5:39 PM, =E5=BE=B7=E5=93=A5 <digoal@126.com> wrote:

> but in my environment, C need the new timeline file, i can see the
> restore command display about copy 0000002.history from my setted dir (NF=
> from remote computer) use top or ps command.
> And the copy message display forever.
> ps:
> I restart the C compute, and NFS it's ok, recovery it's ok, and don't nee=
> the 0000002.history file.
>
>  When postgresql crashed, it need copy new history first whatever it's
> really need the file?

It needs to know whether the file exists or not.  Rather than asking if the
file exists, and then separately asking for a copy of it, instead it just
asks for a copy of the file and see if it gets returned an error or not.

If your restore_command hangs up forever when asked for a file that doesn't
exist, then there is something wrong with your restore command.

As explained in the documentation, "It is important for the command to
return a zero exit status only if it succeeds. The command will be asked
for file names that are not present in the archive; it must return nonzero
when so asked"

Cheers,

Jeff