Re: Psql meta-command conninfo+ - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hunaid Sohail
Subject Re: Psql meta-command conninfo+
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Jim,

On Fri, Sep 13, 2024 at 4:27 PM Jim Jones <jim.jones@uni-muenster.de> wrote:
I just noticed that messages' order has been slightly changed. The
message "You are connected to database "postgres" as user "hunaid" via
socket in "/tmp" at port "5430" used to be printed after the table, and
now it is printed before.

$ /usr/local/postgres-dev/bin/psql -x "\
    hostaddr=0
    user=jim dbname=postgres
    port=54322" -c "\conninfo+"

You are connected to database "postgres" as user "jim" on host "0"
(address "0.0.0.0") at port "54322".
Connection Information
-[ RECORD 1 ]--------+--------
Protocol Version     | 3
SSL Connection       | no
GSSAPI Authenticated | no
Client Encoding      | UTF8
Server Encoding      | UTF8
Session User         | jim
Backend PID          | 2419033

It is IMHO a little strange because the "SSL connection" info keeps
being printed in the end. I would personally prefer if they're printed
together --- preferably after the table. But I'm not sure if there's any
convention for that.

I agree that both messages should be printed together. IMO the message
"You are connected to database..." should be printed at the top, no? Because it shows important info that the user may be interested to see first. Then we can combine the ssl message.

postgres=# \x
Expanded display is on.
postgres=# \conninfo+
You are connected to database "postgres" as user "hunaid" on host "localhost" (address "127.0.0.1") at port "5430".
SSL connection (protocol: TLSv1.3, cipher: TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, compression: off, ALPN: postgresql)
Connection Information
-[ RECORD 1 ]--------+-------
Protocol Version     | 3
SSL Connection       | yes
GSSAPI Authenticated | no
Client Encoding      | UTF8
Server Encoding      | UTF8
Session User         | hunaid
Backend PID          | 109092

Also, there are a few compilation warnings regarding const qualifiers:

Noted. I will fix them in the next patch.

Regards,
Hunaid Sohail