Re: Bug in abbreviated keys abort handling (found with amcheck) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Bug in abbreviated keys abort handling (found with amcheck)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ugh, that sucks. Thanks for the report and patch.  Committed and
> back-patched to 9.5.

Thanks.

Within Heroku, there is a lot of enthusiasm for the idea of sharing
hard data about the prevalence of problems like this. I hope to be
able to share figures in the next few weeks, when I finish working
through the backlog.

Separately, I would like amcheck to play a role in how we direct users
to REINDEX, as issues like this come to light. It would be much more
helpful if we didn't have to be so conservative. I hesitate to say
that amcheck will detect cases where this bug led to corruption with
100% reliability, but I think that any case that one can imagine in
which amcheck fails here is unlikely in the extreme. The same applies
to the glibc abbreviated keys issue.

I actually didn't find any glibc strxfrm() issues yet, even though any
instances of corruption of text indexes I've seen originated before
the point release in which strxfrm() became distrusted. I guess that
not that many Heroku users use the "C" locale, which would still be
affected with the latest point release.

--
Peter Geoghegan