Re: real/float example for testlibpq3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: real/float example for testlibpq3
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 28 Feb 2022 at 17:50, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Chapman Flack <chap@anastigmatix.net> writes:
> > In the current state of affairs, what's considered the ur-source of that
> > information?
>
> The source code for the type's send/receive functions :-(.  One could
> wish for something better, but no one has stepped up to produce such
> documentation.

Fwiw the client library I heard of attempting to have good binary mode
support was the Crystal language client
https://github.com/will/crystal-pg. I think he was aiming for full
coverage of the built-in data types. That might make a good reference
implementation to write up documentation from. He probably uncovered
some corner cases in development that one might not find from just
inspection of the server code.

--
greg