Re: pgsql: Add 'basebackup_to_shell' contrib module. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: pgsql: Add 'basebackup_to_shell' contrib module.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On March 30, 2022 9:58:26 AM PDT, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> writes:
>> Random aside: Am I the only one bothered by a bunch of places in
>> Makefile.global.in quoting like
>>   $(MAKE) -C '$(top_builddir)' DESTDIR='$(abs_top_builddir)'/tmp_install install
>'$(abs_top_builddir)'/tmp_install/log/install.log2>&1
>> and
>>   rm -rf '$(CURDIR)'/tmp_check &&
>> etc
>
>Don't we need that to handle, say, build paths with spaces in them?

My concern is about the quote in the middle of the path, not about quoting at all... I.e. the ' should be after
/tmp_install,not before.

>Admittedly we're probably not completely clean for such paths,
>but that's not an excuse to break the places that do it right.
>
>(I occasionally think about setting up a BF animal configured
>like that, but haven't tried yet.)

That might be a fun exercise. Not so much for the build aspect, but to make sure our tools handle it.

Andres