Re: pgsql: Add 'basebackup_to_shell' contrib module. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pgsql: Add 'basebackup_to_shell' contrib module.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 1:11 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On March 30, 2022 9:58:26 AM PDT, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> writes:
> >> Random aside: Am I the only one bothered by a bunch of places in
> >> Makefile.global.in quoting like
> >>   $(MAKE) -C '$(top_builddir)' DESTDIR='$(abs_top_builddir)'/tmp_install install
>'$(abs_top_builddir)'/tmp_install/log/install.log2>&1

> >> and
> >>   rm -rf '$(CURDIR)'/tmp_check &&
> >> etc
> >
> >Don't we need that to handle, say, build paths with spaces in them?
>
> My concern is about the quote in the middle of the path, not about quoting at all... I.e. the ' should be after
/tmp_install,not before.

Makes no difference. We know that the string /tmp_install contains no
shell metacharacters, so why does it need to be in quotes? I would've
probably written it the way it is here, rather than what you are
proposing.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com