Re: pgsql: Allow GRANT on pg_log_backend_memory_contexts(). - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: pgsql: Allow GRANT on pg_log_backend_memory_contexts().
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 9:45 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 08:41:11PM +0000, Jeff Davis wrote:
> > Allow GRANT on pg_log_backend_memory_contexts().
> >
> > Remove superuser check, allowing any user granted permissions on
> > pg_log_backend_memory_contexts() to log the memory contexts of any
> > backend.
> >
> > Note that this could allow a privileged non-superuser to log the
> > memory contexts of a superuser backend, but as discussed, that does
> > not seem to be a problem.
>
>          but will not be sent to the client regardless of
>          <xref linkend="guc-client-min-messages"/>.
> -        Only superusers can request to log the memory contexts.
>         </para></entry>
> I don't think that the documentation part of this commit is correct.
> This sentence should have been changed to something like the
> following:
> "This function is restricted to superusers by default, but other users
> can be granted EXECUTE to run the function."

+1 and the above statement looks good. Apart from that I have one more
suggestion that I earlier made: have the function produce the error
when no permissions were granted (just to ensure we have the error
message covered) including has_function_privilege() case.

Attached a patch with the above documentation change and the error
case added. Please review it.

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.

Attachment