Re: XID formatting and SLRU refactorings (was: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Borisov
Subject Re: XID formatting and SLRU refactorings (was: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 at 21:31, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 4:23 PM Peter Eisentraut
> <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> On 17.03.22 14:12, Aleksander Alekseev wrote:
>> > v19-0001 changes the format string for XIDs from %u to XID_FMT. This
>> > refactoring allows us to switch to UINT64_FORMAT by changing one
>> > #define in the future patches.
>> >
>> > Kyotaro suggested using `errmsg("blah blah  %lld ..", (long long)
>> > xid)` instead in order to simplify localization of the error messages.
>> > Personally I don't have a strong opinion here. Either approach will
>> > work and will affect the error messages eventually. Please let us know
>> > what you think.
>>
>> This is not a question of simplification.  Translatable messages with
>> embedded macros won't work.  This patch isn't going to be acceptable.
>
> I've suspected this, but wasn't sure.  Thank you for clarification.
Hi, hackers!

The need to support localization is very much understood by us. We'll deliver a patchset soon with localization based on %lld/%llu format and explicit casts to unsigned/signed long long.
Alexander Alexeev could you wait a little bit and give us time to deliver v20 patch which will address localization (I propose concurrent work should stop until that to avoid conflicts)
Advice and discussion help us a lot.

Thanks!

--
Best regards,