Re: Granting SET and ALTER SYSTE privileges for GUCs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Granting SET and ALTER SYSTE privileges for GUCs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 16.03.22 19:47, Tom Lane wrote:
>> ...  Perhaps we could just use "SET" and
>> "ALTER", or "SET" and "SYSTEM"?

> I think Oracle and MS SQL Server have many multi-word privilege names.
> So users are quite used to that.  And if we want to add more complex
> privileges, we might run out of sensible single words eventually.  So I
> would not exclude this approach.

Well, I still say that "SET" is sufficient for the one privilege name
(unless we really can't make Bison handle that, which I doubt).  But
I'm willing to yield on using "ALTER SYSTEM" for the other.

If we go with s/SETTING/PARAMETER/ as per your other message, then
that would be adequately consistent with the docs I think.  So it'd
be

GRANT { SET | ALTER SYSTEM } ON PARAMETER foo TO ...

and the new catalog would be pg_parameter_acl, and so on.