Re: POC: postgres_fdw insert batching - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zhihong Yu
Subject Re: POC: postgres_fdw insert batching
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,
Do we need to consider how this part of code inside ExecInitModifyTable() would evolve ?

I think placing the compound condition toward the end of ExecInitModifyTable() is reasonable because it checks the latest information.

Regards

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 5:11 PM Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On 1/21/21 2:02 AM, Zhihong Yu wrote:
> Hi, Tomas:
> In my opinion, my patch is a little better.
> Suppose one of the conditions in the if block changes in between the
> start of loop and the end of the loop:
>
>       * Determine if the FDW supports batch insert and determine the batch
>       * size (a FDW may support batching, but it may be disabled for the
>       * server/table).
>
> My patch would reflect that change. I guess this was the reason the if /
> else block was placed there in the first place.

But can it change? All the loop does is extracting junk attributes from
the plans, it does not modify anything related to the batching. Or maybe
I just don't understand what you mean.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra