Re: [HACKERS] COMPRESS VALUES feature request - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Tiikkaja
Subject Re: [HACKERS] COMPRESS VALUES feature request
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 8:18 PM, Erez Segal <erezsegal@gmail.com> wrote:
In the IRC channel - johto suggested an implementation:

<johto> if you want to get really fancy you could have two columns where only one of set; one would be the value (if reasonably unique) and the other the id (if not)

I only suggested how to do this in an application if one really wants the feature so badly.  I don't think this would fly as a native implementation.

I'd like to add that an ENUM can be used instead of the id+lookup table in the 2nd column for non unique values.

An ENUM in postgres *is* an id + lookup table..

.m