Re: [HACKERS] proposal psql \gdesc - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: [HACKERS] proposal psql \gdesc
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Pavel,

> [...] it is little bit worse. I cannot to distinguish between
> SELECT\gdesc and TRUNCATE xxx\gdesc . All are valid commands and produce
> empty result, so result of \gdesc command should be empty result too.
>
> postgres=# truncate table xx\gdesc
> ┌──────┬──────┐
> │ Name │ Type │
> (0 rows)

Hmmm. At least it is better than the previous error.

What about detecting the empty result (eg PQntuples()==0?) and writing
"Empty result" instead of the strange looking empty table above? That
would just mean skipping the PrintQueryResult call in this case?

--
Fabien.