[HACKERS] COMPRESS VALUES feature request - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Erez Segal
Subject [HACKERS] COMPRESS VALUES feature request
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Following a discussion in the IRC channel, I'd like to suggest a feature request to the ToDo WIKI page.

The use case is having a column with strings/floats, where some values are very common and can be compressed, while many other values are unique, making a lookup table not efficient.

It can be part of a column definition, set in CREATE TABLE/ALTER TABLE
e.g. field VARCHAR(255) COMPRESS (NULL, 'EREZ', 'SEGAL')

In the IRC channel - johto suggested an implementation:

<johto> if you want to get really fancy you could have two columns where only one of set; one would be the value (if reasonably unique) and the other the id (if not)
I'd like to add that an ENUM can be used instead of the id+lookup table in the 2nd column for non unique values.