Best way to populate nested composite type from JSON` - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Best way to populate nested composite type from JSON`
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi everyone;

I have been starting to experiment with the JSON accessors in 9.3.  I immediately found that my preferred use, populating nested composite types, is not supported.  Also of course one cannot manipulate JSON nodes, which leads to the question of how best to do this.  I had some ideas:

1.  A custom C function utilizing the internal functions PostgreSQL offers for JSON parsing (probably looking at the json_populate_record() as a base)

2.  Utilizing hstore as an intermediate representation along with json_each()

3.  Perhaps using something like pl/perlu or the like.

This leads to a few questions, including whether it would be worthwhile looking at trying to handle nested types in json_populate_record() and if anyone is working on such a thing currently.

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers