Re: fsync and wal_sync_method - Mailing list pgsql-general

From bricklen
Subject Re: fsync and wal_sync_method
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 6:11 PM, ascot.moss@gmail.com <ascot.moss@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I am using pg 9.2.4 and ubuntu 12.04 to set up a pair of pg-Master and pg-Slave with streaming replication.

The archive_command is enabled and the "rsync" is used in pg-Master to save all its archived WAL files to the 3rd machine for backup purpose,  by default, both fsync and wal_sync_method are commented out in postgresql.conf:

archive_command = '(cp %p /usr/pg_arcxlog/%f && rsync -aq  %p pg@pg_slave:/usr/pg_arcxlog/%f'
#fsync = on                                             # turns forced synchronization on or off
#wal_sync_method = fsync                # the default is the first option

Thus I think the latest WAL might not be flushed to disk from time to time in pg-Master, therefore the WAL saved in the 3rd server might not contain the latest WAL. In order to avoid possible data lost, should 'fsync" be turned ON in pg-Master and pg-Slave?  if yes what would be the best settings of "wal_sync_method" for these two servers respectively?

Please advise.
regards

I think you are confusing fsync and switching WAL segments for archiving purposes. Here's a link to the docs to get you started:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/runtime-config-wal.html#GUC-ARCHIVE-TIMEOUT

fsync is enabled unless you disable it, the fact that it is commented out means that it is set to its default ("on"). wal_sync_method at its default is probably fine, but if you are interested, look at the pg_test_fsync tool: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/pgtestfsync.html