Skip index cleanup if autovacuum did not do any work - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Feike Steenbergen
Subject Skip index cleanup if autovacuum did not do any work
Date
Re: Skip index cleanup if autovacuum did not do any work  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
Re: Skip index cleanup if autovacuum did not do any work  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Skip index cleanup if autovacuum did not do any work  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
List pgsql-hackers
On a server with a very frequent xid wraparound I can see that the anti-wraparound vacuum is finished very quickly with the heap, yet it still scans all the indexes, which causes it to still have to read a lot of data, which takes a considerable amount of time.

I dove into the code a bit and as far as I can tell, all the time spent for doing this is is in lazy_cleanup_index.

For the very specific use case of all-frozen, basically read-only tables, would it be ok to skip the lazy_cleanup_index call? As we are sure we did not touch the heap or the index, I'd say a cleanup may not be necessary.

For this very specific usecase I would like to discuss whether or not this is
a sane and/or good idea.

regards,

Feike
Attachment