Re: pgindent run? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgindent run?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I think that'd be taking it too far, especially given that the dependency
>> on a typedefs list means that the git hook might have a different idea
>> of what's correctly indented than the committer does.  It'd be very hard
>> to debug such discrepancies and figure out what would satisfy the hook.

> Is there no way to get reasonable indentation that doesn't depend on
> that typedefs list?

Perhaps, but not with the tool we've got.

It's well known that C is unparseable without knowing which identifiers
are typedefs, so it doesn't exactly surprise me that it might not be
sanely indentable without knowing that.  But I've not thought hard about
it, nor looked for alternate tools.