Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning  (Beena Emerson <memissemerson@gmail.com>)
Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning  (Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com>)
Re: [HACKERS] Runtime Partition Pruning  (Beena Emerson <memissemerson@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 15 November 2017 at 01:57, David Rowley <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I think to do this you're going to have to store some sort of array
> that maps the partition index to the subpath in the Append node so you
> can correctly identify the subpath based on what you're getting back
> from get_partitions_for_keys(). Perhaps what you had worked previously
> when we were not returning a Bitmapset with that function.
>
> Once you've got that design worked out I can take another look at this.

I think this is a bit more broken than I originally mentioned above.
The code you have at the moment assumes there will be just a single
partitioned table in the hierarchy. Remember that complex partitioned
hierarchies will be flattened during set_append_rel_pathlist(), so
there may be multiple partitioned relations to search for.

A more simple way to break the patch is to have some constants in the
query to eliminate some of the partitions during planning, leaving
just a few to be eliminated during execution.

Something like:

deallocate ab_q1;
drop table if exists ab;
create table ab (a int not null, b int not null) partition by list(a);
create table ab_a1 partition of ab for values in (1);
create table ab_a2 partition of ab for values in (2);
create table ab_a3 partition of ab for values in (3);
create table ab_a4 partition of ab for values in (4);
create table ab_a5 partition of ab for values in (5);
create table ab_a6 partition of ab for values in (6);
create table ab_a7 partition of ab for values in (7);
create table ab_a8 partition of ab for values in (8);
create table ab_a9 partition of ab for values in (9);
create table ab_a10 partition of ab for values in (10);

prepare ab_q1 (int) as select * from ab where a between 4 and 5 and a = $1;

explain execute ab_q1 (4);
explain execute ab_q1 (4);
explain execute ab_q1 (4);
explain execute ab_q1 (4);
explain execute ab_q1 (4);

explain execute ab_q1 (4); -- TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(n <
list->length)", File: "src/backend/nodes/list.c", Line: 392)

So some sort of hierarchical structure of the partition hierarchy
would need to be stored in the Append node and then you'd need to
search at each level, and then somehow match the results up to the
subpaths that you have in the Append. Although, I'm still not sure
this is the best way to go about this.

-- David Rowley                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services