Re: incorrect (incomplete) description for "alter domain" - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: incorrect (incomplete) description for "alter domain"
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Monday, July 29, 2024, PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/sql-alterdomain.html

In the Synopsis section of
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-alterdomain.html
this is incorrect (incomplete):
"ALTER DOMAIN name ADD domain_constraint [ NOT VALID ]"
It should be
"ALTER DOMAIN name ADD CONSTRAINT domain_constraint [ NOT VALID ]"

The definition of “domain_constraint” includes the optional “constraint constraint_name” clause.  Though reading the page and seeing the number of times we say “alter domain add constraint” I even more inclined to agree that bringing the word constraint there is desirable.  I am not a huge fan of the indirect syntax references anyway.  But I think your proposed fix is technically wrong since the word constraint is optional but your change makes it mandatory.

David J.