Re: Typo in 15.3.4 - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: Typo in 15.3.4
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 25 Jul 2024, at 19:07, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 9:50 AM PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/parallel-plans.html

In section 15.3.4, I believe "multiple results sets" is a typo for "multiple
result sets". It says:

> Plans that involve appending multiple results sets can therefore achieve
coarse-grained parallelism even when efficient partial plans are not
available.

It's also possible this should say "multiple results" rather than "multiple
result sets".

Good catch, and an acceptable solution.

However, I'm inclined to write: "multiple inputs" at that spot:

Plans that involve appending multiple inputs can therefore achieve...

Using the term "result set" here just feels off, though that is a mostly uninformed (as to precedent) opinion.

I think result sets the correct term since the Append node is combining partial
results made by other parallel nodes.  Doing some reading it seems to me that
"results sets" isn't incorrect (though I might have misunderstood the grammar
from not being a native speaker), but I'm still inclined to change since we
consistently use "result sets" in the rest of the documentation.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Attachment