Re: BUG #13188: .pgpass does not work - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: BUG #13188: .pgpass does not work
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tuesday, April 28, 2015, <bzb.dev001@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      13188
> Logged by:          wt
> Email address:      bzb.dev001@gmail.com <javascript:;>
> PostgreSQL version: 9.4.1
> Operating system:   linux
>
> Tried to use ~/.pgpass file to automatically specify the password when I
> use
> the psql console app. according to the info from "PostgreSQL 9.4.0
> Documentation", Section 31.15. The Password File.
>
> Postgresql is configured to use md5 for login.
>

> file: pg_hba.conf
> -----------------
> local   all             all                                     md5
> host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            md5
> host    all             all             ::1/128                 md5
>

> file: ~/.pgpass
> ---------------
> #hostname : port : database : username : password
> * : 5432 : * : postgres : somepassword
>

> When I exec psql without specifying the password, I cannot login...
>
> $ psql --host=localhost --port=5432 --username=postgres --no-password
> psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied

Best guess you don't have the correct permissions set.

 http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/libpq-pgpass.html

Last paragraph.

I would also remove the padding white space.  The syntax is documented
without and while the documentation is non-specific I've personally always
avoided it and have never had a problem.

David J.