Re: BUG #13188: .pgpass does not work - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From bzb.dev001@gmail.com
Subject Re: BUG #13188: .pgpass does not work
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 2015-04-29 01:06 AM, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 28, 2015, <bzb.dev001@gmail.com
> <mailto:bzb.dev001@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     The following bug has been logged on the website:
>
>     Bug reference:      13188
>     Logged by:          wt
>     Email address: bzb.dev001@gmail.com <javascript:;>
>     PostgreSQL version: 9.4.1
>     Operating system:   linux
>
>     Tried to use ~/.pgpass file to automatically specify the password
>     when I use
>     the psql console app. according to the info from "PostgreSQL 9.4.0
>     Documentation", Section 31.15. The Password File.
>
>     Postgresql is configured to use md5 for login.
>

>     file: pg_hba.conf
>     -----------------
>     local   all             all  md5
>     host    all             all 127.0.0.1/32 <http://127.0.0.1/32>
>             md5
>     host    all             all             ::1/128  md5
>

>     file: ~/.pgpass
>     ---------------
>     #hostname : port : database : username : password
>     * : 5432 : * : postgres : somepassword
>

>     When I exec psql without specifying the password, I cannot login...
>
>     $ psql --host=localhost --port=5432 --username=postgres --no-password
>     psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
>

> Best guess you don't have the correct permissions set.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/libpq-pgpass.html
>
> Last paragraph.
>
> I would also remove the padding white space.  The syntax is documented
> without and while the documentation is non-specific I've personally
> always avoided it and have never had a problem.
>
> David J.

The permission settings for .pgpass is correct.  I have even changed the
ownership of the file to postgres:postgres since I'm logged on as
another user and .pgpass is located in this user's home directory. Yet
it still does not work.

$ ls -l .pgpass
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 79 Apr 29 10:24 .pgpass