Re: BUG #13188: .pgpass does not work - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From bzb.dev001@gmail.com
Subject Re: BUG #13188: .pgpass does not work
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 2015-04-29 11:50 AM, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 8:09 AM, bzb.dev001@gmail.com
> <mailto:bzb.dev001@gmail.com> <bzb.dev001@gmail.com
> <mailto:bzb.dev001@gmail.com>>wrote:
>
>     On 2015-04-29 01:06 AM, David G. Johnston wrote:
>>     On Tuesday, April 28, 2015, <bzb.dev001@gmail.com
>>     <mailto:bzb.dev001@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>         file: ~/.pgpass
>>         ---------------
>>         #hostname : port : database : username : password
>>         * : 5432 : * : postgres : somepassword
>>

>>         When I exec psql without specifying the password, I cannot
>>         login...
>>
>>         $ psql --host=localhost --port=5432 --username=postgres
>>         --no-password
>>         psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
>>

>>     I would also remove the padding white space. The syntax is
>>     documented without and while the documentation is non-specific
>>     I've personally always avoided it and have never had a problem.
>

> ​ And excessive whitespace?
>
> Have you confirmed that you are able to connect by supplying the
> password manually?
>
> David J.​

Yes, I have removed the spaces in the .pgpass file.
Yes, I can also connect to the postgresql server using a password.
I was wondering.  I have configured postgresql server to use md5 as
specified in the pg_hba.conf below.  Do you think that I need to put a
md5 encrypted string of my password in the .pgpass file or do I simply
put my password in clear text?

local   all             all                                     md5
host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            md5
host    all             all             ::1/128                 md5