Re: [JDBC] Questions on use - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: [JDBC] Questions on use
Date
Re: Questions on use  (Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com>)
List pgsql-jdbc
On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
  PostgreSQL-9.6.1 and openjdk-8u91_b14 are installed on my Slackware-14.1
system and I am trying to use schemaSpy_5.0.0.jar on a couple of databases.
I have downloaded postgresql-9.4.1212.jre6.jar but cannot get schemaSpy to
run.

  1) Is the -9.4.1212 version of the driver compatible with postgres-9.6.1?
If not, is there a working alternative?

​Should work.  The 9.4 doesn't imply server compatability.

  2) My databases are used by only me. All non-postgres-installed databases
are owned by me so neither a username nor a password is required for me to
access them. My login name is used by psql to allow me access. Is the lack
of a password preventing the driver from functioning? If so, is there a way
to inform it that no password is required here?

​The default for PostgreSQL is to listen on Unix sockets.  JDBC doesn't talk to Unix sockets - it only uses TCP/IP sockets.  You need to configure the database to listen on an IP address and port and point to that.  You also need to ensure pg_hba.conf and/or have a password on the user JDBC is using (changing to "trust" might work).

David J.