Re: Add version and data directory to initdb output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Add version and data directory to initdb output
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 2:04 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On 19.04.22 15:55, David G. Johnston wrote:
> The motivating situation had me placing it as close to the last line as
> possible so my 8 line or so tmux panel would show it to me without
> scrolling.  The version is all I cared about, but when writing the patch
> the path seemed to be at least worth considering.
>
> As for "Success", I'm confused about the --no-instructions choice to
> change it the way it did, but given that precedent I only felt it
> important to leave the word Success as the leading word on a line.
> Scripts should be triggering on the exit code anyway and presently
> --no-instructions removes the Success acknowledgement completely anyway.

The order of outputs of initdb seems to be approximately

1. These are the settings I will use based on what you told me.
2. This is what I'm doing right now.
3. Here's what you can do next.

Your additions would appear to fall into bucket #1.  So I think adding
them near the start of the output makes more sense.  Otherwise, one
could also argue that all the locale information etc. should also be
repeated at the end, in case one forgot them or whatever.

I agree with the observation but it initdb is fast enough and non-interactive and so that order isn't particularly appealing.

Thus either:

1. Initialization is running ... Here's what we are doing.
2. All done!  Here's what we did.
3. Here's what you can do next.

or

1. These are the settings I will use based on what you told me.
2. This is what I'm doing right now.
3. All done! Here's what you ended up with (can repeat items from 1 if desired...)
4. Here's what you can do next.

I'd rather do the first proposal given buy-in.  Though I would have concerns about what the output looks like upon failure.

I'm basically proposing the second option, add a formal "All done!" section and recap what the final result is.  I'd be content with having the version appear in both 1 and 3 in that scenario.  It isn't a frequently executed command, already is verbose, and when done interactively in development I don't want to have to dedicate a 20 line panel so I can see "All Done!" and some (one) key attribute(s) (locale and path seems useful though) without scrolling.

If the consensus is to place it before, and only before, the "this is what I'm doing right now" stuff, that is better than nothing, but the choice of not doing so was intentional.

David J.