Re: Parsing COPY ... WITH BINARY - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Parsing COPY ... WITH BINARY
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Leonardo M. Ramé <l.rame@griensu.com> wrote:
> I'm using this:
>
> COPY( select field1, field2, field3 from table ) TO 'C://Program Files/PostgreSql//8.4//data//output.dat' WITH BINARY
>
> To export some fields to a file, one of them is a ByteA field. Now, I
> need to read the file with a custom made program.
>
> How can I parse this file?
>
> BTW: I cannot export as CSV, because the binary data is modified when I
> do that.

this type of thing is probably better handled with libpq based C
application if you're willing to write one.  all this is assuming you
don't want to decode your bytea from encoded format such as hex.  why
do you specifically need to dump in binary?

merlin