Re: Parsing COPY ... WITH BINARY - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Leonardo M. Ramé
Subject Re: Parsing COPY ... WITH BINARY
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2013-01-31 17:38:26 -0600, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Leonardo M. Ramé <l.rame@griensu.com> wrote:
> > I'm using this:
> >
> > COPY( select field1, field2, field3 from table ) TO 'C://Program Files/PostgreSql//8.4//data//output.dat' WITH
BINARY

> > To export some fields to a file, one of them is a ByteA field. Now, I
> > need to read the file with a custom made program.
> >
> > How can I parse this file?
> >
> > BTW: I cannot export as CSV, because the binary data is modified when I
> > do that.
>
> this type of thing is probably better handled with libpq based C
> application if you're willing to write one.  all this is assuming you
> don't want to decode your bytea from encoded format such as hex.  why
> do you specifically need to dump in binary?
>
> merlin

I need to dump in binary because in the dump I have bytea fields. I know
PostgreSql escapes binary data, but I don't want to regenerate it to
"see" in my program.

Anyway, I solved the issue by creating a FreePascal program for parsing
the file, based on the info from here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-copy.html#AEN66736

--
Leonardo M. Ramé