Re: trouble with upgrade from 9.0 (many schemas and tables) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: trouble with upgrade from 9.0 (many schemas and tables)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday, January 30, 2013, Groshev Andrey wrote:

> 30.01.2013, 18:47, "Jeff Janes" <jeff.janes@gmail.com <javascript:;>>:
>
> > You would probably want to use the pg_dump from 9.2, as there are
> > improvements in that version of pg_dump to speed up partial dumps.
> > You can use pg_dump from 9.2  against server 9.0 and still get the
> > improvements.  But that means you should be upgrading to 9.2 rather
> > than 9.1.  (Which you should probably do anyway unless you have a
> > specific reason not to.)
>
> Now think about it. Try to make 9.0 -> 9.2 -> 9.1 ?

Downgrading is generally not supported.  Why not just stick with 9.2 as the
end target?  If you really need 9.1, I would not entertain the thought of
using 9.2's pg_dump and then trying to go backwards, at least not until I
tried 9.1's dump and proved that it was a serious bottleneck.

Cheers,

Jeff