Re: trouble with upgrade from 9.0 (many schemas and tables) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Groshev Andrey
Subject Re: trouble with upgrade from 9.0 (many schemas and tables)
Date
List pgsql-general

30.01.2013, 18:47, "Jeff Janes" <jeff.janes@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 9:23 PM, Groshev Andrey <greenx@yandex.ru> wrote:
>
>>  Hello!
>>  I update the databases to version 9.1.
>>  Today, faced with a new challenge.
>>  The database itself is not very big 60G, but has ~ 164,000 tables in 1260 schemes.
>
> Are the schemas all about the same size (in number of tables)?

Yes, 130 tables, 120 triggers, 700 functions.
Only some schemas different from them.

> There are several places in the code which are quadratic in the number
> of tables being dumped and restored.  There have been many fixes
> recently in 9.2 and especially (future) 9.3, but unfortunately you
> have to upgrade in order to get those benefits.
>
>>  I tried and pg_upgrade and pg_dumpall and pg_dump.
>>  But they all work very, very long time.
>>  For so long that I do not have patience.
>>  And pg_dump worked for almost a day, gave "out off memory"
>
> Was it exactly that, or was it about shared memory for holding locks?

Unfortunately, I can't say anything about memory problems.
This post was my colleague.
In my attempt to not wait ... but I waited 17 hours.

>>  The only thing that came up while doing a dump on each schema.
>>  But will it be the right approach?
>
> Unfortunately, that might be your best option to get around the
> quadratic behavior.

Yes, some string in shell script.
Before me, this problem is solved as well.

> You would probably want to use the pg_dump from 9.2, as there are
> improvements in that version of pg_dump to speed up partial dumps.
> You can use pg_dump from 9.2  against server 9.0 and still get the
> improvements.  But that means you should be upgrading to 9.2 rather
> than 9.1.  (Which you should probably do anyway unless you have a
> specific reason not to.)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeff

Now think about it. Try to make 9.0 -> 9.2 -> 9.1 ?

Thank you!