Re: Force streaming every change in logical decoding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Smith
Subject Re: Force streaming every change in logical decoding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 6, 2022 at 5:23 PM shiy.fnst@fujitsu.com
<shiy.fnst@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> Hi hackers,
>
> In logical decoding, when logical_decoding_work_mem is exceeded, the changes are
> sent to output plugin in streaming mode. But there is a restriction that the
> minimum value of logical_decoding_work_mem is 64kB. I tried to add a GUC to
> allow sending every change to output plugin without waiting until
> logical_decoding_work_mem is exceeded.
>
> This helps to test streaming mode. For example, to test "Avoid streaming the
> transaction which are skipped" [1], it needs many XLOG_XACT_INVALIDATIONS
> messages. With the new option, it can be tested with fewer changes and in less
> time. Also, this new option helps to test more scenarios for "Perform streaming
> logical transactions by background workers" [2].
>
> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFiTN-tHK=7LzfrPs8fbT2ksrOJGQbzywcgXst2bM9-rJJAAUg@mail.gmail.com
> [2]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAA4eK1%2BwyN6zpaHUkCLorEWNx75MG0xhMwcFhvjqm2KURZEAGw%40mail.gmail.com

Hi, I've been doing some testing that makes use of this new developer
GUC `force_stream_mode`.

IIUC this GUC is used by the walsender during the logic of the
ReorderBufferCheckMemoryLimit(). Also, AFAIK the only way that the
walsender is going to know this GUC value is by inheritance from the
parent publisher at the time the walsender process gets launched.

I may be overthinking this. Isn't there potential for this to become
quite confusing depending on the timing of when this GUC is modified?

E.g.1 When the walsender is launched, it will use whatever is the
current value of this GUC.
E.g.2 But if the GUC is changed after the walsender is already
launched, then that will have no effect on the already running
walsender.

Is that understanding correct?

------
Kind Regards,