Re: Force streaming every change in logical decoding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Smith
Subject Re: Force streaming every change in logical decoding
Date
List pgsql-hackers

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAA4eK1%2BwyN6zpaHUkCLorEWNx75MG0xhMwcFhvjqm2KURZEAGw%40mail.gmail.com

> Hi, I've been doing some testing that makes use of this new developer
> GUC `force_stream_mode`.
>
> IIUC this GUC is used by the walsender during the logic of the
> ReorderBufferCheckMemoryLimit(). Also, AFAIK the only way that the
> walsender is going to know this GUC value is by inheritance from the
> parent publisher at the time the walsender process gets launched.
>
> I may be overthinking this. Isn't there potential for this to become
> quite confusing depending on the timing of when this GUC is modified?
>
> E.g.1 When the walsender is launched, it will use whatever is the
> current value of this GUC.
> E.g.2 But if the GUC is changed after the walsender is already
> launched, then that will have no effect on the already running
> walsender.
>
> Is that understanding correct?

I think I was mistaken above. It looks like even the already-launched
walsender gets the updated GUC value via a SIGHUP on the parent
publisher.

2022-12-13 16:31:33.453 AEDT [1902] LOG:  received SIGHUP, reloading
configuration files
2022-12-13 16:31:33.455 AEDT [1902] LOG:  parameter
"force_stream_mode" changed to "true"

Sorry for the noise.

------
Kind Regards,