Re: md5(large_object_id) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Willy-Bas Loos
Subject Re: md5(large_object_id)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 10:17 PM, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:
 I am dealing with radiology
studies aka DICOM data) one would want an md5 function which
streams in parts of a large object piece by piece using
md5_update and m5_finalize or some such.

It didn't look like pgcrypto offers a streaming version either.

Anything I am overlooking ?

Hi,

I don't think that it is possible to stream the result of a query anyway, or is this some neat new feature?
I'm not sure if there is much to be gained from storing such large objects in a database. Also, the max size of a value is 1GB.
Maybe it would be better to do some file administration in the database, but not the actual storage. Then you could use a tool that does what you want on the bare file and maybe store the results in the database.

HTH,

--
Willy-Bas Loos