Re: [GENERAL] DROP [TEMP] TABLE syntax, as reason why not? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vincenzo Romano
Subject Re: [GENERAL] DROP [TEMP] TABLE syntax, as reason why not?
Date
List pgsql-general

>> > It can be issue when somebody will do port from PostgreSQL to any other
>> > databases.
>>
>> Postgres is already creating issues to people porting DBs away from it
>> as it sports a number of extensions.
>> So this does not sounds like a good argument.
>

> I am thinking, and it is my opinion, nothing more, so Postgres should to
> introduce proprietary syntax only when there are not any possibility and
> there are not some similar in ANSI or Oracle, DB2 or MSSQL.

Mine are also opinions.

>> > There should be stronger reason for introduction possible NON
>> > ANSI SQL feature than syntactic sugar.
>> Once you accept that Postgres is already extending the standard, I
>> would focus on syntax consistency and symmetry as a yet-another-extra
>> value from Postgres.
>>
>> Moreover, "DROP TEMP TABLE..." would make it clear and explicit that
>> the table is temporary.
>> And it would thus "protect the programmer from typos and errors"
>> (intentional tongue-in-cheek).
>

> If we disable DROP TABLE on temporary tables, then your arguments are 100%
> valid, but if we don't do it, then DROP TEMP TABLE is just syntactic sugar

Isn't a CHOICE for better syntax enough?
Aren't symmetry and consistency valuable arguments?
Syntactic sugar is not evil on its own.
It can help people writing code that can be better understood.
And it would still be up to the programmer to choose.

--
Vincenzo Romano - NotOrAnd.IT
Information Technologies