Re: [GENERAL] DROP [TEMP] TABLE syntax, as reason why not? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francisco Olarte
Subject Re: [GENERAL] DROP [TEMP] TABLE syntax, as reason why not?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Vincenzo Romano
<vincenzo.romano@notorand.it> wrote:
> Once you accept that Postgres is already extending the standard, I
> would focus on syntax consistency and symmetry as a yet-another-extra
> value from Postgres.
>
> Moreover, "DROP TEMP TABLE..." would make it clear and explicit that
> the table is temporary.
> And it would thus "protect the programmer from typos and errors"
> (intentional tongue-in-cheek).

Given drop temp table x is just syntactic sugar to drop table
PG_TEMP.x I think the (slight) increase on the bug-surface is enough
to avoid it, as the pg_temp. makes it equally clear and explicit you
are dropping a temporary table.

And if the programmer forgets the pg_temp. it can equally forget the TEMP.

Francisco Olarte.