Re: alter user set local_preload_libraries. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: alter user set local_preload_libraries.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 3:53 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Hm ... it's kind of annoying that that doesn't work; it's certainly not
>>> hard to imagine use-cases for per-user or per-database settings of
>>> local_preload_libraries.  However, I'm not sure if we apply per-user or
>>> per-database settings early enough in backend startup that they could
>>> affect library loading.  If we do, then the ALTER code needs to be
>>> taught to allow this.
>
>> ISTM that's what session_preload_libraries does.
>
> No, the reason for the distinction is that session_preload_libraries is
> superuser-only, and can load anything, while local_preload_libraries is
> (supposed to be) settable by ordinary users, and therefore is restricted
> to load only a subset of available libraries.  But if you can't apply it
> via ALTER USER that seems like it takes away a lot of the value of having
> a non-SUSET GUC in this area.

Agreed. I was also thinking we can set it per role, but got surprised
when I found that's impossible. Is this a problem of only
local_preload_libraries? I'm afraid that all PGC_BACKEND parameters
have the same problem.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao