Re: PATCH: standby crashed when replay block which truncated instandby but failed to truncate in master node - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: PATCH: standby crashed when replay block which truncated instandby but failed to truncate in master node
Date
In response to Re: PATCH: standby crashed when replay block which truncated instandby but failed to truncate in master node  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 1:47 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 11:17:36PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> > OK, I updated the patch that way.
> > Attached is the updated version of the patch.
>
> Thanks.  I have few tweaks to propose to the docs.
>
> +        raise a PANIC-level error, aborting the recovery. Setting
> Instead of "PANIC-level error", I would just use "PANIC error", and

I have no strong opinion about this, but I used "PANIC-level error"
because the description for data_sync_retry has already used it.

> instead of "aborting the recovery" just "crashing the server".

PANIC implies server crash, so IMO "crashing the server" is
a bit redundant, and "aborting the recovery" is better because
"continue the recovery" is used later.

> +        causes the system to ignore those WAL records
> WAL records are not ignored, but errors caused by incorrect page
> references in those WAL records are.  The current phrasing sounds like
> the WAL records are not applied.

So, what about

---------------
causes the system to ignore invalid page references in WAL records
(but still report a warning), and continue the recovery.

> Another thing that I just recalled.  Do you think that it would be
> better to mention that invalid page references can only be seen after
> reaching the consistent point during recovery?  The information given
> looks enough, but I was just wondering if that's worth documenting or
> not.

ISTM that this is not the information that users should understand...

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao