Re: decoupling table and index vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: decoupling table and index vacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 9:33 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 12:12 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> > I believe that the main benefit of the dead TID conveyor belt (outside
> > of global index use cases) will be to enable us to do more (much more)
> > index vacuuming for one index in particular. So it's not really about
> > doing less index vacuuming or less heap vacuuming -- it's about doing
> > a *greater* amount of *useful* index vacuuming, in less time. There is
> > often some way in which failing to vacuum one index for a long time
> > does lasting damage to the index structure.
>
> This makes sense to me, and I think it's a good insight.
>
> It's not clear to me that we have enough information to make good
> decisions about which indexes to vacuum and which indexes to skip.

What if "extra vacuuming, not skipping vacuuming" was not just an
abstract goal, but an actual first-class part of the implementation,
and the index AM API? Then the question we're asking the index/index
AM is no longer "Do you [an index] *not* require index vacuuming, even
though you are entitled to it according to the conventional rules of
autovacuum scheduling?". The question is instead more like "Could you
use an extra, early VACUUM?".

if we invert the question like this then we have something that makes
more sense at the index AM level, but requires significant
improvements at the level of autovacuum scheduling. On the other hand
I think that you already need to do at least some work in that area.

--
Peter Geoghegan