Re: decoupling table and index vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: decoupling table and index vacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 12:12 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> I believe that the main benefit of the dead TID conveyor belt (outside
> of global index use cases) will be to enable us to do more (much more)
> index vacuuming for one index in particular. So it's not really about
> doing less index vacuuming or less heap vacuuming -- it's about doing
> a *greater* amount of *useful* index vacuuming, in less time. There is
> often some way in which failing to vacuum one index for a long time
> does lasting damage to the index structure.

This makes sense to me, and I think it's a good insight.

It's not clear to me that we have enough information to make good
decisions about which indexes to vacuum and which indexes to skip.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com