Re: Troubleshooting a segfault and instance crash - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Troubleshooting a segfault and instance crash
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 9:40 AM, Blair Boadway <bboadway@abebooks.com> wrote:
> Mar  7 14:46:35 pgprod2 kernel:postgres[29351]: segfault at 0 ip
> 000000302f32868a sp 00007ffcf1547498 error 4 in
> libc-2.12.so[302f200000+18a000]
>
> Mar  7 14:46:35 pgprod2 POSTGRES[21262]: [5] user=,db=,app=client= LOG:
> server process (PID 29351) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault

> It crashes the database, though it starts again on its own without any
> apparent issues.  This has happened 3 times in 2 months and each time the
> segfault error and memory address is the same.

We had a recent report of a segfault on a Redhat compatible system,
that seemed like it might originate from within its glibc [1].
Although all the versions there didn't match what you have, it's worth
considering as a possibility.

Maybe you can't install debuginfo packages because you don't yet have
the necessary debuginfo repos set up. Just a guess. That is sometimes
a required extra step.

[1] https://postgr.es/m/7369.1520528405@sss.pgh.pa.us
--
Peter Geoghegan