Troubleshooting a segfault and instance crash - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Blair Boadway
Subject Troubleshooting a segfault and instance crash
Date
Re: Troubleshooting a segfault and instance crash  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
List pgsql-general

Hello,

We’re seeing an occasional segfault on a particular database

Mar  7 14:46:35 pgprod2 kernel:postgres[29351]: segfault at 0 ip 000000302f32868a sp 00007ffcf1547498 error 4 in libc-2.12.so[302f200000+18a000]

Mar  7 14:46:35 pgprod2 POSTGRES[21262]: [5] user=,db=,app=client= LOG:  server process (PID 29351) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault

It crashes the database, though it starts again on its own without any apparent issues.  This has happened 3 times in 2 months and each time the segfault error and memory address is the same. We’ve only seen it on one database, though we’ve seen it on both hosts of primary/standby setup—we switched over primary to other host and got a segfault there, which seems to eliminate a hardware issue.  Oddly the database has no issues for normal DML workloads (it is a moderately busy prod oltp system) but the segfault has happened very shortly after DML changes are made.  Most recently it happened while running a series of grants for new db users we were deploying (ie. running a sql script from psql on the primary host)

grant usage on schema app to app_user1;

grant usage on schema app to app_user2;

Our set up is

RHEL 6.9  - 2.6.32-696.16.1.el6.x86_64

PostgreSQL 9.6.5 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-18), 64-bit

Extensions - pg_cron,repmgr_funcs,pgaudit,pg_stat_statements,pg_hint_plan,pglogical

So far can’t reproduce on a test system, have just added some OS config to collect core from the OS but haven’t collected a core yet.  There isn’t any particular config change or extension that we can link to the problem, this is a system that has run for months without problems since last config changes.  Appreciate any ideas.

Regards,

Blair